21 November 2020

How to maximize your twenty-five percent off shopping trip

This post is specifically for fellow Wal-Mart associates across the country. I wanted to write a little guide on how I make the most of my "extra 15% off" voucher that we are given every year around the holidays if we work Thanksgiving (or in this year's case, if we work the event weekends). Every year, I hear a lot of associates say that they don't have the money to spend much that day, or that they can't think of anything that they need or want. I wanted to share how I maximize the value of mine - and how I've converted my husband to thinking about it in a similar way!

For the most part, I do a stock-up sale on toiletries and other necessary household items, because... why not get them cheaper and not have to worry about buying them throughout the year?


Step one: Start saving money now! Okay, so it's a little bit late for the 2020 shopping day, which happens in about three weeks, but this is going to focus more on next year, and subsequent years after that. I understand that times get tough, and I definitely was living paycheck-to-paycheck for years until I recently had some good things happen in my life. I get it completely! Can you afford to put away ten dollars a paycheck, though? Just ten dollars, either in a safe place at home, or preferably in a savings account that you don't let yourself touch. If your store has a Woodforest Bank inside, this might be the time to pay them a visit and discuss your options with them. I personally prefer the savings account option so that I'm not tempted to touch the cash sitting in my sock drawer. Plus, it might even accrue a small amount of interest - interest will be minimal at best, but hey - it's still more than it would be sitting in your sock drawer!

Here is a quick guide to how much money you can set aside in one year (26 paychecks), using a few different savings amounts.

 $10 per paycheck = $260

$20 per paycheck = $520

$50 per paycheck = $1300

Step two: COUPON! Okay, I am going to sound like an extreme couponer, but I am telling you - it is amazing! There is NO SHAME in saving some money. Personally, I am not remotely organized, nor do I ever think to grab a Sunday paper, so I use a website to order coupons. I am sure that there are other sites, but a friend of mine recommended Klip2Save a couple of years ago, so they have been my go-to. The coupons do each cost a few cents - about 15% of their face value - but it still saves a ton of money. For instance, as I am writing this, there is a coupon available for $1 off any size Nutella, and each coupon costs 15 cents. You can select how many of each coupon you want, and they will ship them to you. Basic shipping is $1 if you use that site. I think I spent about $8 total for my current stack of coupons, but they will save me something like $50 off of my shopping trip. Be mindful of expiration dates when looking for coupons. Also, there are some companies that will send you coupons if you ask! Have a baby? Similac sends out coupons all of the time! I wrote to Purina three years ago, and they sent me a coupon for a free large bag of dog food, and free case of canned cat food - the kinds I told them I use. Reminder: Your discount comes off of the pre-coupon price of the item!

Step three: Use ibotta! If you aren't familiar, ibotta is an app that gives you cash back on things that you buy. Sometimes, there are amazing deals that when you use them, make the item completely free. This can also be STACKED with coupons, so if you happen to find an item on ibotta that you also happen to have a coupon for? Extra money off! I just downloaded it yesterday personally, and did a shopping trip just to see what I could save. I spent right around $120 out of pocket (after my 10% Walmart discount), and earned over $47 in cash back already. They even have some deals that are "get fifty cents back for scanning any receipt," or "get twenty five cents back for buying any shredded cheese." Others are more specific - I had to buy a specific size of country crock spread yesterday, for example, but there are definitely some much more loosely worded savings. There's even a way in the app to scan an item and see if it qualifies for the deal, to ensure that you're going to get your cash back!


Step four: Get organized, and make a list. I prefer pen and paper, but a list on your phone/tablet could also work. Write out what you're buying, with notes about whether you have coupons or not, whether there is an ibotta cash back deal, etc. Be as specific as you need to be in your list. Don't just write "cereal," if your coupon is for a certain size and brand. I personally write my list in the order that things will appear in the store - pet things together, dry grocery together (and as close to "by aisle" as I can), dairy together, etc. This makes for a much more seamless shopping trip for me. It also makes it easier to divide and conquer if you have a spouse or another person who can come with you and help pick up your items. 

Here are some things that I tend to get amazing deals on:
  • Deodorant. There tend to be awesome coupons for as much as $1.50 off on brands that only cost around $2.00 to begin with. One year, my husband and I each got 12 deodorants and paid only a few cents out of pocket after our discount and coupon.
  • Shampoo/conditioner. I see a lot of coupons for these! Stack them with your discount for amazing deals.
  • Feminine hygiene products! Ladies, we all know how annoyingly expensive these are. This year, I snagged a few coupons for $3 off when you buy 2 packs of Kotex tampons, any size. My store has them for $3.84 for a box of 16. After the 25% off, two boxes would be $5.76. Take my $3 coupon off, and I'll be paying $2.76 for two boxes, which works out to $1.38 for a box of 16 tampons.
  • Toothpaste and toothbrushes. More items that usually have coupons, and even if you can't find some, why not get a few extra tubes with that stacked discount?
  • Pet food and treats! I mentioned in the coupon section that Purina sent me coupons once for a free bag of dog food, and free case of canned cat food. Because the discount comes off BEFORE the coupons, and the coupon then takes off the full price of the product, I actually got more money off than the pet food cost. Of course, Walmart won't give you cash back, but it will go toward your other items.
  • I personally haven't had to buy them, but there tend to be good coupons for baby diapers, plus you can sign up for coupons through Similac if you're formula feeding.
  • General groceries. I try not to go too crazy buying food as I don't personally have a huge kitchen or much storage, but there are cereal coupons regularly, as well as coffee, tea, pastas, lots of other good staples!

Let me know if you have any questions in the comments, and I will answer as well as I can! Happy shopping, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I know this will help folks out! And this year I think we can all use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for sure! I feel like my co-workers always think I'm crazy when I roll three full shopping carts up to the register... but I never have to think about buying toiletries for the rest of the year, so it's amazing.

      Delete