04 July 2014

Helping out my local animal shelter

I ended up not going to Ikea yesterday as I had previously planned. The more I thought about it, the more silly it seemed. I was going to go, probably blow somewhere around $100 on random things for my bedroom, plus spend an hour each way driving to the store, wasting gas, yada yada yada. That being said, there is some stuff that I would have liked to get. I still want a few more little mirrors for the walls, but other than that, I don't really NEED anything.

Instead, I opted to go to Wal-Mart and buy some things for my local animal shelter! Their facebook had said that they were in need of some wet cat food, so my original intention was to just pick up some kitty food, but after reading the wishlist on their website, I decided to pick up a few more things. Check out my loaded cart! Got some cat food, dog food, a container of kitten formula, treats for both dogs and cats, toys for both, some timothy hay because I had heard that they had some bunnies at the shelter, then I got some bleach and some laundry detergent to help with their cleaning needs. And after I took this photo I also grabbed a big pack of paper towels.

I took my goodies to the shelter to deliver them. The staff seemed really excited to get some much-needed supplies and goodies. I asked if I could walk around, and one of the ladies gave me a tour. I got to see some adorable dogs (including a pair of beagle puppies who I would have brought home if I could have), and a bunch of sweet cats.I really wish that I could do more to help, and bring an animal home (either permanently or as a foster), but right now, I just can't. The landlord has said that I can't have anymore pets (I had to convince him to let us live here with the two dogs that I do have). It makes me really sad that I can't save a life right now. But it made me feel really good to do SOMETHING to help them out.

If you can, please donate to your local animal shelter! Give directly to your local shelter/a local shelter that actually helps animals. I wouldn't recommend donating to the ASPCA or Humane Society of the US. Find a shelter or rescue that is local. And if you don't have a local shelter, I'm sure mine would love more help! Donate to the Caroline County Humane Society. With my local shelter, you can even use Paypal to donate. Or I know of someone who ordered pet food via amazon and had it sent right to the shelter. I'm sure you can do this at your local shelter as well! Help out a pet! Save a life!

2 comments:

  1. That is so nice of you to donate to the shelter! I have a box of canned cat food that is all ready to go to PAWS in Old City. Just haven't gotten around to carrying it there yet haha I do visit there a lot to play with the kitties :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was in a position to do more right now, though. I want to save some animals, and I just can't. Renting my house sucks. :(

      Delete