24 April 2018

Movies from the 80's

I was messing with the Amazon Fire Stick, trying to find something to watch, when I stumbled onto The Wizard Of Oz. Everyone knows The Wizard Of Oz, right? I feel like it was a staple in every child's life from the time it was released eighty or so years ago until now. But it got me thinking about movies that I grew up with as staples that other people seem to have never heard of.

Here's my little trip down memory lane...

Alice in Wonderland (IMDB link here)! No, no! Not the Disney cartoon version (though that was is pretty great in its own right, albeit a little trippy for my adult tastes). I'm talking about the 1985 made-for-television movie with the star-studded cast. I can never find people who have heard of this at all (despite finding it for sale at a Wal-Mart when I was living in Maryland). This was my go-to movie when I was home sick from school, or on snow days. I'm sure my brother Joe might even remember a good chunk of it because I watched it constantly. I'm fairly certain this movie sparked my lifelong love of unicorns, because of "The Lion and the Unicorn." The Jabberwocky in this film was absolutely terrifying, and I'm fairly certain I fast-forwarded through that scene every time. If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend grabbing it on Amazon, and settling in for the best time you ever had. I have far too many favorite parts to list, but I always love the end scene - "Can You Hear Us Alice?" Very reminiscent to me of the last scene of "Labyrinth" (but with a lot less mayhem).

Christmas Eve on Sesame Street (IMDB link here)! I don't care how old I get - I need to find time to watch this special every year at Christmastime! From the opening ice skating scene, to Bert and Ernie's version of The Gift of the Magi, to the kids and Linda singing to Bob in sign language (this gets my heart every single time). "True Blue Miracle will forever be one of my favorite Christmas songs. After all of these years, I could still watch this movie all year long - but I make myself wait until November or so to break out my DVD (a friend was kind enough to buy it for me two Christmases ago when I mentioned streaming it on YouTube every year) so that the magic never fades. This has me realizing that I'll have to write a Christmas-movie-specific post in several months, because there are just so many others that are also amazing.

The World of Strawberry Shortcake (IMDB link here)! The original Strawberry Shortcake - none of that remake nonsense. I can still sing songs from the movies, and I will randomly mention the peculiar purple pie man of porcupine peak (which always confuses whoever I mention it to - which is always fun to try to explain). This original version of Strawberry Shortcake was adorable (I very much dislike her later counterparts - but that could be because I am just so used to this adorable round-faced little girl and her precious polka-dot kitty). There were a few different movies, one of which featured these adorable little berry-kins, which were basically like baby versions of Strawberry and her friends. I mean, seriously, how could you not love the adorableness of this cartoon? I think that every girl born in the late seventies and early eighties knows Strawberry Shortcake, to be fair, but I feel like she has gotten lost in the abyss of cartoons. A quick google search first brings up pictures of the newer Strawberry Shortcake reincarnations, which is a shame to me. This will forever be THE Strawberry Shortcake. Embrace her. Love her. Quit trying to change her.

There are so many other greats of my childhood - but these make me especially nostalgic. Go watch them! What movies make you nostalgic? If you're an eighties kid like me, shoot me some titles in the comments so I can see if I remember them.


No comments:

Post a Comment