29 April 2018

Paint Night!


I would just like to point out that I have no artistic talent. None. At all. I can't draw or paint or do anything artistic (other than crocheting, but I am incredibly simple with that, and can never do anything very fancy or ornate). So, when I was invited to a Paint & Sip (without the sip) at a friend's church, I was nervous at first because I have no artistic talent whatsoever. I convinced my niece to go with me - she actually can paint, and I think she's quite talented at it.

The event was this past Friday night at my friend's church, fairly close to where I live. I picked up my niece and we headed over, and I was immediately intimidated by the idea of painting this amazing piece.

Yet somehow, my painting looks arguably like the one that we were supposed to be reproducing. Somehow, my painting does not look like random globs of paint. It looks like a sunset, and clouds, and mountains, and a body of water with a reflection on it, and grass, and trees. It looks like I actually kind of sort of can paint, and I am kind of blown away by that. I have seen friends post pictures over the years of paint night events, and their pictures always look amazing. They always look like they know exactly what they are doing, and I have zero idea how they can do it because there was no way I could ever do something like that without ruining it. But I did it. I did it, and it looks decent.

Of course, I see flaws (I judge myself so hard all of the time), but I am actually impressed with myself - partly for coming out of that evening and appearing like I have some sort of artistic talent, even though I know the real truth - and partly for being brave enough to try something new. A year ago, I rarely left the house, and I certainly was not up for trying things like this. A year ago, I was just barely surviving, and was going through the necessary motions of life - and not even really feeling like doing this. To be fair, I still rarely leave the house (taking care of the pets is a big job, and more time consuming than one might think - couple that with being on my feet all day at work, and sometimes I'm just too tired to go out after work). But I am taking steps. Small steps, but steps nonetheless. And at thirty-four years old, I am really proud of the person I am allowing myself to become.

If you're in the northeastern Pennsylvania area, and looking to do a Paint Night event/Paint & Sip, I highly recommend getting in touch with Jill Carletti. She did a fantastic job instructing all of us painting amateurs, and making us feel like we were doing a good job! Look her up, book an event with her, or attend one of her scheduled events!

Lovely, talented ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment