04 April 2018

Thinking about making a change

I vented the other day about some work-related woes, without getting too into specifics. I still won't get into specifics (though if you're reading and you actually know me, you know where I work - and you may even know a lot more details of that story). A follow-up conversation with the big boss man made me feel better about that day, and being told by two different people whose opinions that I actually respect that I am doing a good job, that I am good enough, and that I am a powerhouse - their words, not mine - have me feeling so much better on that front. I've worked incredibly hard to get to the point where I am. There have been plenty of tears - and so many anxiety attacks before I got that mess mostly under control - but I am at a point where I am confident in my abilities - albeit frustrated about the mess that I have to deal with on a daily basis because other people just don't care as much as I do.

There is a new position about to open at my job, and I am constantly going back and forth on whether I want to apply for it and take it on. The thing is, it's technically a demotion, and I would lose a little bit of money (about seventy cents per hour), but I know that I would be good at it. I know that I am well-suited for the position. It would possibly offer opportunities for promotion down the line if I can prove that I am good at it - to a position slightly higher than the one I currently have, so I would earn the lost wages back and then some, if I were to get to that level. Money would be a little bit tighter, but since I just finished paying off my car last month, it would sort of even itself out. Plus, if I continue to do fairly well with my side business, I could easily make up the money there. The new position is very customer-centric, which has become my strongest attribute (funny - I always said I hated people, and didn't care much for customers... but they've become one of my favorite things about my job). My schedule would change slightly, but would still be nice, comfortable morning shifts, and actually get me out earlier than I currently get out of work.

I guess, as I sit and write about it, my only real issue would be the slight amount of money that I would lose, but it really wouldn't be a tragic loss (and perhaps I could somehow negotiate pay? Maybe? I'm not sure). I guess when you know that you'd excel at something, it would be worth the slight loss...

No comments:

Post a Comment