25 May 2018

30 Day Writing Challenge - Day 03

Today I get to speak about my day, in great detail. I've done this one before, other than putting in extreme details about what I do at work, but I feel like extreme detail about my days would absolutely bore someone to death (it bores me just thinking about it!).

Instead, how about some details about yesterday. Of course, this does not include my entire day, but I'll give you some of the highlights.

My morning consisted of trying to clean up the freight that had been left for me from the night before (or, technically the night before that... though from what I gather, it had actually been there since the night before that, but c'est la vie). Going into Memorial Day weekend, my department is shaping up to be super busy these next few days (it's actually already started). One of my departments is the paper department, and things like cups, plates, and plastic cutlery are flying off of the shelf. Luckily my managers gave me some direction with where to go with some of these items to help take some of the pressure off, and I am looking at features of paper everywhere in my department. I feel like a good part of my day for these next few days is going to be filling them constantly.

When your store is right down the street from the world's largest indoor waterpark, you sometimes get special orders for large quantities of items for events that they are throwing. I somehow got in the middle of an order that wasn't being organized for them, grabbed the grocery manager to help me with it and to meet their representative, and took care of that. I actually felt like I was doing something important - not just taking care of a pretty big order that was bringing in a nice little chunk of money for us, but creating relationships with the people at the park to help with any future transactions. Getting a "thank you!" text from them later made my day! I am actually looking forward to working with them more in the future - I have fun doing things that are beyond the normal scope of my position.

In the afternoon, I called my vendor who takes care of the fish tanks. We sell live pet fish, but it's been a struggle keeping them alive, after some issues with the water in their tanks. I had to call the vendor that changes out the big filters to talk to them about coming out to clean so that I could get back into the business of selling fish (well... not me... because by the time they get out here to do it, I will be on my way out of the department... but the next person... the next person can sell fish...).

I was surprised toward the end of the day with a pin. The store gives out five each month to people who are "happy to help." I kept saying I should get one, mostly as a joke because I think the program is fairly silly for my own reasons... but I have never gotten any kind of recognition at work (despite being told for months that my department is so much better since I took it over, that I've done a good job to get certain things fixed, that I am great with customers...). I had joked about it so much that I guess someone finally said something to a manager, who decided I deserved a pin. As silly as I think the program is at times, I was actually really grateful to get a pin, finally, after being a pain in their side for such a long time. I mean... I might be a pain, and I might be obnoxious... but I am pretty much always the first person to help anyone in that building. And now I have a cute little pin to wear on my uniform to prove that.

On the way home from work, we stopped at my friend Trish's house to drop off a have-a-heart trap she had let me borrow when I was attempting to catch the mother of the kittens I caught. No such luck, of course, so I was done with the trap. I was hoping to meet Trish's new dog (or jokingly try to kidnap my favorite of her eight dogs), but she was super busy, so we will have to try that another day.

We came home to pet cuddles and kisses, and were invited to the neighbors' house this weekend for a get-together. I love that I live in a place with neighbors who I actually know (not super-well, mind you, but it's nice to go outside and actually speak to the neighbors, have them ask how you are doing, etc). Whenever we are outside working on anything, the neighbor always offers help - "what are you doing with the car? Can I help you?" Heck yeah you can! It's nice to know what we live in a place where not only is our neighbor friendly to us, but that he would probably be able to keep an eye on the house if anything was going on. I love my small-town Pennsylvania life!

I am gearing up right now for another day at work - day six in a row - but everything I do today is overtime, so I am not even stressing! I hope the store is super busy and that I get to spend tons of my day helping customers (who knew I was a people person?! When did that happen?!).

No comments:

Post a Comment