29 May 2018

30 Day Writing Challenge - Day 07

Do you read? What are your favorite books?

This question actually makes me sad. I used to read so much when I was younger - I was always the girl in school with a book in my hand, just reading for the fun of it. I somehow never find the time to really read anymore (I feel like I have some adult form of an attention deficit disorder, because I just can not seem to sit down and let myself read - or any other still, quiet activity - for any period of time anymore). I obviously need to remedy this, and grab some books to read over the summer - perhaps while sitting by the community pool.

My favorite books as a teen were "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." I feel the need to re-read both of them, though, as I feel that there was probably so much that I missed or just didn't pick up on as an immature thirteen year old.

In semi-recent years, I binge read all of John Green's books. I was curious about "The Fault in Our Stars" since everyone seemed obsessed with the movie, so I read the book, and then grabbed his three other books and read those as well. "Paper Towns" and "Looking for Alaska" were my favorites, and "The Fault in Our Stars" was actually my least favorite.

Jodi Picoult is amazing, and I have loved everything of hers that I have read. "Keeping Faith" is probably my favorite, with "My Sister's Keeper" also being high on the list (though that movie made me angry, and I still don't forgive them for ruining the ending).

I am currently working on "The Princess Saves Herself in This One" by Amanda Lovelace. It's a book of poetry, and I made it halfway through in one sitting, but had to sit it down and haven't gone back to it to finish it as of yet. Too many things really affected me, and I needed a break. The trigger warning at the beginning of the book was spot-on, and I found myself feeling broken a few times through the first two chapters. I love it, and the way it speaks to me is amazing - but I needed a break, and some time before I start reading the rest, because I have no idea what else to expect.

My favorite children's book is "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. I don't care who you are, or how old you get... that book is classic, and magic, and sad. As an adult, I would still re-read it and shed tears...

I would love recommendations for some books that are fairly easy-reads that don't require a ton of deep thinking that I could pick up to read at the pool this summer. Nothing smutty or anything - just something that I can read while getting some sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment