13 May 2018

Mother's Day

I find Mother's Day to be a hard day to deal with. My mother passed away almost eighteen years ago, and I am not a mother - despite wanting it more than anything, I mean, unless you count fur-kids. The worst is having to go to work today, and people just trying to be kind by wishing you a Happy Mother's Day, when you would really just rather be home, or at the cemetery visiting your own mother, or really anywhere but surrounded by strangers who just don't understand. They mean well... I know that they mean well... but it somehow doesn't help me to feel better.

I'll put on a smile, and be happy for my friends as they spend time with their mothers, or as their kids given them sloppy handprints on construction paper, or flowers on popsicle sticks. I am genuinely happy for those who have a reason to celebrate today...

But that doesn't mean I can't be a little sad for me today, too.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you. I'm sorry. I also lost my mom many years ago and have no kids so the holiday means nothing to me at this point. Try to focus on something else, something positive. I make plans for a future project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know a lot of people are in our shoes, but it doesn't feel like it sometimes, especially on days like this.

      I tried to make the most of the day anyway, and perhaps work was a nice distraction from the whole thing.

      Delete