05 June 2018

work stuff

It's amazing how much better I feel after making the decision to step down at work. A seventy cent pay cut for a little (okay - a lot) more peace of mind seemed like the obvious right decision at this point in my life. To be fair, I am still stressing a little bit over my old department - freaking out when the freight isn't worked, when it's clear that no one has touched certain spots of the department in days, when things are left empty for days on end. I am trying hard to just step back and ignore it, but I can't help still feeling ownership over it.

Now, though? I am going to be paid to shop for eight hours every day. Paid to shop, you guys. I am on a great team, with people who I know are going to help to crush it when we officially launch. We are currently in sort of a holding period, training before we officially launch new services, and learning everything we can possibly learn so that we can be out of the gate and running at the end of this month. I don't think I have ever been so confident and ready to do something at work. It was totally worth the seventy cent pay cut - I can already tell that - plus I know I will be crushing goals on Fitbit - challenge me, guys! After the end of June, I will be dominating weekly step challenges.

I was also able to work a load of overtime this past pay period - thirty hours over the course of two weeks - and end up with a nice little paycheck. I debated what to do with some of it and really wanted to buy something silly (another cat condo or something obnoxious like that was one of my original plans), but opted to use a little bit of it to pay off my car insurance for this period (which only included this month and next, but still - it felt good, and this month wasn't due until next pay period), and I switched to the annual plan for Amazon Prime so that I don't have to worry about that little thirteen dollars coming out of my account every month for the next year (I just need to remind myself next June that I will have to either pay or cancel before I get billed $119 again). I don't have many bills at all - the landlord pays the electric and internet bills (I mean, I send her money for them along with my rent and she just takes care of actually paying the bills), a friend pays my cell phone bill because I am on his family plan, and he refuses to let me help with it. But now, having a little bit less to worry about for the next couple of months is going to be a blessing - especially with the little pay cut I just took at work.

Worrying about money and paying bills is probably my biggest struggle in life at this point. Then I find myself in that awesome catch 22 situation - I make too much money to get assistance to go back to college, but not enough money to really get ahead (or pay off those student loans that are looming). Life is fun when you're lower middle class, let me tell you...

No comments:

Post a Comment