09 June 2014

Beach trips and books

I feel like I haven't blogged in ages (though I'm pretty sure it's only been about a week). My life has been moderately busy this past week, though.

On Tuesday, I headed up to New Jersey to spend the day with my dear friend, Heather. We had no set plans, but she took me to this fantastic little Italian place that I have never been to for lunch. It was delicious! Then we were going to drive to Moorestown and go to this cute little quilt shop so that I could look for fabric and other goodies, but when Heather randomly stated that she wanted to feel the sand between her toes, so had a change of plans and ended up on Long Beach Island. On the way down, we stopped at a Wal-Mart so that I could pick up a pair of flip-flops. I ended up decided that I also needed a dress to wear to the beach, even though I never wear dresses. One of my new weight loss incentives is to wear dresses. DONE! The beach was calm, not very many people this early in the season. We also did some traveling around the island, saw the lighthouse, and walked around there. Very nice little day trip, indeed! We headed back and stopped for a yummy dinner at the Vincentown Diner. Then it was back to my old store to stop in and say hello to some people. I saw my favorite ex boyfriend, which is always enjoyable (though I'm sure it's weird and annoying for him). I didn't get home until incredibly late.

Most of the rest of the week was spent at work. Nothing particularly exciting happened at work (other than one incident involving having to call the police - always an adventure when I work!).

Yesterday was my friend Adele's birthday. Her boss told her she could head out of work early, so I drove to her store to meet her and take her out. We had no real set plans, so we ended up deciding to drive to Rehoboth Beach. An early dinner was had at Cracker Barrel, and then we parked about a block from the beach and walked around for a bit. We hit two arcades (one of which had pretty much the most fun game ever), and a few little shops. We headed back and stopped at Applebee's for a late evening drink and appetizers.

Lately, I have been reading, for what seems like the first time in forever. One of my 101 in 1001 goals (yeah, I joined the bandwagon) is to read ten books that I have never read before. I didn't realize how quickly I would be devouring books this past week. First, I read "A Walk to Remember" by Nicholas Sparks. Yes, I realize that the rest of the world read it years ago. I hadn't yet. I've seen the movie, but only once, and quite a few years ago, so I knew the gist of the whole thing. I really enjoyed the book, though, even though I knew where it was headed. Then I bought "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green, because I kept seeing commercials for the movie, and figured I would read it instead. I laughed, I cried, I got really really angry. I'd recommend it, but grab tissues (and maybe something you can punch). Currently, I am reading "Looking for Alaska," which is also by John Green. My friend Kristin mentioned that it was another of his books that she liked, so I downloaded it to my Kindle (by "my Kindle," I mean that I have the app on my phone, so I am basically reading it on my phone). So far, I have already gotten angry, and I'm only about two-thirds of the way through the book. Next, I plan on reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. I think I may need to find something light after this.

Anyone have any suggestions for good books that I should read? I'm fairly open, I suppose. I tend to like Jodi Picoult novels an awful lot, and have read most of them. Looking for some fairly easy reads that are just really good stories. I just don't really care to read any trashy romance novels.

2 comments:

  1. mmm I used to live near a cracker barrel...I miss it! lol

    If you're looking for a cute book to read I'd suggest "A Streetcat Named Bob" (and it's sequel that was just released...I have yet to read that one though). Its a sweet story about a homeless guy and his cat, and a crazy easy read. I think I was done it in a day haha. I was thinking of picking up The Fault In Our Stars...I'm so not a sad/romance book type person though so I don't know haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My absolute favourite book series ever is Enchanted, Inc by Shanna Swendson. It's a few years old now, but SO good. Light and fun and really well written.

    ReplyDelete