22 July 2014

A little vacation update

First, let me apologize for not posting anything at all in the last two weeks or so. I didn't have anything in particular to talk about, and then I figured I would post almost-daily while on vacation, but the computer doesn't hook up to WiFi for some reason. I guess it was for the better, though, because it gave me more time to spend with my nieces and nephew.

Vacation officially started on the 16th, and I headed up to my dad's in northeastern Pennsylvania that morning. By the time I got there, my nieces had already been gone for a few hours - their mom's sisters had taken them for an overnight trip - so I got to just spend time hanging out at the house not doing a whole lot. They didn't get home until the following night, at which point I sent them right to bed so that I could take them to the Philadelphia Zoo (about a 2.5 hour drive from my dad's) on Friday morning. My nephew had also come over Thursday night, so I got to take him to the zoo as well.

I spent more money than I should have on the zoo, but I bought a one-year membership that includes myself, my brother, my nephew and nieces, and my brother's girlfriend's kids, PLUS two guests on each visit, PLUS we get to ride everything we want each visit (ponies, camel, draft horse, these swan boat things, and a giant helium balloon).

Saturday, I took my nephew to his mom's aunt's house, for a birthday party for his brother. My nephew's mom invited me to stay, so I hung out there with them for a few hours.

Sunday, I went to a craft fair in my old elementary and middle schools. I didn't buy anything, but I did see some watercolor paintings that I really loved, and got the lady's card. I am hoping to buy a watercolor of an elephant for my spare room. She didn't have any with her, but had lots of other animals, and I loved her style. Check her out at Believe in Art.

I originally wanted to drive out to Chicago this week, and end up there on Saturday for an Emerson Drive concert... but once I started calculating, I realized that I would spend way more money on gas and lodging than I really wanted to, and not really have any money left to do anything fun. I guess I am going to have to save my fun vacation for the fall. I am a little sad about it, truth be told, but it just didn't seem worth it. I wish I'd had some friends to make the trek with me, and split costs and driving, but alas, no one was able to go. Now, I am home, doing a whole lot of nothing. I did manage to go through my closet yesterday and get rid of a lot of clothes that are too big for me now, and I am in the process of turning my spare room into a little office. I love it so far, but it's not nearly finish (photos tomorrow? Maybe!).

I may end up spending some time doing some local stuff since I have all of this time off still. Perhaps a trip into DC to check out the monuments? I'd also like to go back to the Philadelphia Zoo (need to get my money's worth for this membership!), so maybe I can find a friend or two to go with me!

In the meantime, here's some pictures of my trip to the zoo with the kiddos!

The kids near the entrance to the zoo.

The balloon that we would later go up in.

The girls got to ride a Draft Horse.

Our view of Philadelphia, from 400 feet up in the air.

The kids up in the balloon, with the city in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment